Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Paging Dr. Molly

In an effort to make being healthy more fun, I took the kids to Wonderscope Children's Museum today. There were two specific rooms I wanted to focus on: the "doctor" room and the "market" room, where kids could pretend to plant a garden, gather eggs, then buy and sell the produce. We visited the other rooms as well, including a special room for toddlers. Molly's favorite room was the doctor room, and Ben enjoyed trying to climb on ANYTHING in ANY ROOM! (My picture of Ben isn't loading right, but I promise he was with us!)

Later, I wanted to introduce exercise as something healthy. I had planned on showing Molly some stretches, but instead she showed ME stretches she learned at her acrobat & ballet class! Then we had a dance party! That's my kind of exercise!

After dinner we happened to catch The Toothfairy on HBO with Dwayne Johnson. It is a really cute movie and appropriate for our theme. Finally, at bedtime we did a little science experiment and made our own toothpaste! I found a recipe online and tweaked it:

1/4 cup of baking soda
1/8 cup of water
eh... maybe 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1 drop pink food coloring (or your own color choice, of course)

We didn't exactly like the taste, but it did do the job and our teeth felt really clean! Here's a link to the directions I used, and it includes a sweetener that would probably make it more palatable, but I of course didn't have it on hand.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Toothpaste

No comments: