Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fun Birthday Books to Read With Your Child

I just thought I'd take a moment to share some of my favorite "birthday books" I read with my kids at bedtime. These titles don't mention a birthday, so you wouldn't necessarily find them in a search.

Here's one we've been reading forever and it's one of Molly's(5) favorites year 'round. *I can't believe I had to just type that Molly is five!! Her birthday was Friday and I still can't believe I have a five-year-old! Anyway... The Jolly Barnyard by Annie North Bedford is a Little Golden Book Classic. It goes through all the farm animals and what they eat and what they do for the farmer, all on Farmer Brown's birthday.

A Little Fairy Magic by Julia Hubery has a really cute story line about a sweet little mouse on her birthday who does some "real" magic for her little brother. Of course since Molly has a little brother, Ben(2), it's perfect for her! **I can't believe I had to just type that Ben is two!! His birthday was on Saturday and I still can't believe my baby is already two! Anyway...

My daughter is really into scary things like vampires, witches, Frankenstein and Darth Vader, so Wolf's Coming! by Joe Kulka is right up her alley. It's a surprising story about all the animals running away from Wolf before he sees them. We have fun finding the blue balloon on every page and it has a very fun and NOT scary ending!

Finally, one of my personal favorites is Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse by Rebecca Janni. It is so cute and cleverly written! She tells a story of a little cowgirl living in a regular neighborhood who just wants a horse for her birthday. At the beginning, she "shakes the sleep from her braids" and from that moment on I love reading every word!

Here are links to each of these books on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Barnyard-Little-Golden-Book/dp/0375828427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331525211&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Fairy-Magic-Julia-Hubery/dp/1561487139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331525247&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfs-Coming-Carolrhoda-Picture-Books/dp/1575059304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331525254&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Cowgirl-Needs-Horse-Rebecca/dp/0525421645/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331524605&sr=8-1

No comments: