Thursday, July 14, 2011

The sun sets on another week

Here is one other star-shaped dessert we made for our Great Big Sky Week: starry strawberry shortcake! I combined a couple recipe ideas I found and made my own creation with what we had on hand. I used a Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheet and cut it with a star-shaped cookie cutter. I sprinkled the stars with some sugar and baked them for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Meanwhile, I cut up fresh strawberries and stirred them with maybe 1/4 cup of sugar until they got sweet and syrupy. I put it all together and topped with fresh whipped cream, which I made with heavy whipping cream and I think 2 teaspoons of sugar. Delish dish!


Just by chance, we caught a great episode of Peppa Pig on Nick Jr. all about the night sky! Molly was so excited when she recognized the Big Dipper and the North Star.

Finally, this week we've played with Perler Beads a few times: the ones you put on a plastic peg board and iron together into shapes. The little ones have proved too difficult for Molly (4) so I made a sun and a star for her. Meanwhile, I found some "biggie beads" for smaller kids at Michaels and they were 40% off that day! Woo hoo! What a great week.

No comments: