Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ice Cream in a Bag!

On our last day of summer vacation, I planned a fun summer snack! During Ben's nap, Molly (4) and I made a quick batch of HOMEMADE ICE CREAM! I found the recipe in a Family Fun Magazine for "Ice Cream in a Bag". What's funny is this summer they made a list of twenty fun summer activities from their past magazines, but I actually had the recipe from the original release! Now I have saved this recipe twice and it was about time to try it. I urge you: please make this! I guarantee it turns out really freaking delicious.

Combine 2 Tbsp sugar with 1 cup of half and half and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a small ziplock baggie. Then put that inside a gallon size ziplock bag and fill that half way with ice cubes and 1/2 a cup of salt. Shake it for about five minutes. I wrapped ours in a dish towel because it gets really cold. Just feel the inner bag to check when the ice cream's done. BAM! Delicious.

I recommend rinsing the inner bag off so there's no chance of salt getting on your ice cream (yuck!). Molly added chocolate chips to hers... maybe one day we'll try peppermint extract and chocolate chips to make a mint ice cream!! We've already made it a second time after school the next day... this time we added fun food coloring to have purple and green ice cream. Did I mention it's really really delicious?

No comments: